Monday, August 27, 2007

Weekend in Barossa - Happy B'Day Fleur


Just back from the weekend of camping in the Barossa Valley Wine Region, organized by Fleur for her birthday. Happy birthday Fleur!! I definitely recommend her as a travel organizer/tour guide.

Saturday I had to wake up early and drive for an hour and a half through the scenic Adelaide and Barossa hills to get to the campsite in Tanunda. This is the longest non-stop drive I have ever done in my car and that was quite exciting. I sped about like crazy with the car loaded up with camping gear. It took time setting up all the tents and buying food for dinner.
The rest of the day was spent winery hopping and the night was spent around the campfire talking non-sense to random people. When I finally went to sleep, I just barely felt that my feet were very cold.

The next day we went for a spot of real wine tasting, mostly because I was driving and could not drink any just smell and swirl it around in my mouth. We found some really good wines at Rockford. It is a small winery with lots of old barrels lying around and a cobwebbed ceiling, but they make very fine wine. Then off to Grand Burge with beautiful sceneries matching the great wine. Some of the aged wine was apparently just found in the cellars from times they did not have permanent records, it was at least 25 years old and tasted delicious. I am sure that will not stand up to a breathalyser test, but luckily I did not have any. Finally we passed the Craneford winery which is owned by Fleur's family for some personal attention, and some jockeyed for mates rates. Now I am back home but the camping gear is still filling up the car, the wine is out and is safely in the dark corners or the fridge as appropriate.

May be I will get some real coding done thanks to the break. Drifting off into vertex and fragment shaders from the land of wine and olives.

No comments: