Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Testing a new modem with BeagleBoard - DIGI Net Mobil

I broke my old Prolink Modem by walking around while it was plugged in and twisting the USB plug. I got a newer 7.2MB capable modem from Deal Extreme. Plugged into the beagleboard it shows up as a CD as expected and I ejected it to get the ttyUSBx devices. Unfortunately on the first try none of them wanted to respond to AT commands, it only started working after I installed the driver on windows and connected it up. A throughput test shows that it is working slightly better than the 3.6Mb/s Prolink promises.

Usual diagonistics on Linux shows:
lsusb - 05c6:0015 Qualcomm, Inc.

ATQ command works and dialing proceeds then I get stuck in an Unsolicited Message Block ("+ZUSIMR:2") using the ModemManager/NetworkManager Combo.
#beagleboard making friends with new 3G modem, first outing
ATI gives: 
Manufacturer: BMC INCORPORATED
Model: HD360
Revision: W1MV1.0.0B20100128 W1MV1.0.0B20100128 1  [Sep 4 2008 12:00:00]
IMEI:
+GCAP: +CGSM,+DS,+ES



Not much but at least a start for digging.

4 comments:

sonofabit said...

did you find out anything? i have a modem from DX myself, and provided drivers don't work on x64. my device has same vid and pid as your, so i though you have ANY idea drivers dedicated to what modem to download.

Tisham Dhar said...

I did get the modem to work on x64 in Ubuntu. Plug the modem in and a CD drive appears, eject this from Gnome or from the console using eject /dev/sr1 or similar. Then some ttyUSBx port appear. These are modem serial ports. ModemManager built into Gnome can take it from here and connect you to your service provider.

sonofabit said...

oh... and i just switched to win7 on my netbook (it runs faster and longer on win$hit) and been lookin for mobile internets... Could You at least tell me how is it identified... I can't seem to find anything and am stuck with nothing. format isn't an option at this point. And won't be in near future...

Tisham Dhar said...

It runs fine on win7, my modem installs a connection software called Digi Net Mobil. Use the Advanced settings to Auto APN and click connect. Do you have a photo of your modem ?